Monday, June 14, 2010

Webquest Paragraph Description

I'm not sure where to post this, so I'm posting it here:


Write a one paragraph description of the activity that the web quest asks students to do and explain why you think it would be a good one for your students. Save this is a Word document. I will tell you later how you will upload it to our class blog. Take a look at the template

I used a webquest for the first time in student teaching this spring. We have been reading Daddy was a Number Runner by Louise Merriwether, a novel about a 12 year old girl living in 1930s Harlem. I wanted to incorporate technology into a lesson somehow and since the book had several characters, I thought of having each student “become” a character in the book. I designed a webquest that outlined a month long assignment that included a character webpage, class blog, a rubric, and a reflective letter. The idea behind this assignment was to have students take on a point of view of their character through research and application. They learn how to create a webpage through google sites. They also create original posts and responses on the class blog, creating a social media type, interactive atmosphere. I reviewed the webquest with them on the first day to outline the assignment and posted links from my sample character homepage and class blog so they can refer back to the webquest at any time. This assignment was overall a success, bearing technological difficulties. Students took on the mindset of their characters in striking ways and said they enjoyed the lesson. I hope that they learned something about literature and technology.

Here is a link to the webquest: http://www.kn.att.com/wired/fil/pages/listcharactemr1.html#cat1

-This is Jonah btw

No comments:

Post a Comment