Sunday, June 6, 2010

Emilie Jones - Tears of a Tiger Webquest

Emilie Jones

 

Webquest Search

Tears of a Tiger by Sharon M. Draper

 

http://mkershner.tripod.com/id6.html

http://www2.mcsdk12.org/blk28/WebQuests/Underage_Drinking_Webquest.htm

 

 

I reviewed two different webquests for Sharon Draper’s book, Tears of a Tiger.   This is a novel that I have been using as a read aloud in my 7th grade class.   My class read another book in the same series called Forged by Fire that they absolutely loved. The first webquest listed was definitely geared towards a higher level student (higher than 7th grade). Students were asked to analyze and make connections between a piece of poetry and the themes and issues in the novel.  I would use this webquest as an extension project/assignment for my higher level students.  The second webquest was more on the level most my students are on.  I like the second webquest because it was to be completed early in the reading of the novel and dealt with social issues in the novel.  Some of the best class discussions that I’ve had this year were about the social issues in Tears of a Tiger and Forged by Fire.  The second webquest was a great place to build engagement and investment in the novel early on.  The students also got a chance to do creative responses to pictures as well.  This would be a good supplement to reading the book, but definitely an activity used to build engagement early on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment